Skip to main content

How do I Become a Trainer?

Two friends have recently asked me this question. I started off with a warning to them. First off, be prepared to spend a lot of time. Working with the technology is one thing. Passing the Microsoft Exams is another. Teaching it is even more difficult. You see, anyone can click around a screen. Most people can read a book or memorize a practice exam. To be able to present the material to a room of people from high school grads to 30 year veterans is a different ballgame. It is however, a very rewarding experience.

As my wife would attest, I do spend a lot of time in my geek world. I am always learning, digging deeper, trying to find that detail that will make my class worth the experience to my students. It takes a lot of dedication. But how do you get to instruct? Microsoft has it all up on their web site on how to become a Microsoft Certified Instructor. It takes an investment both in time and finances. I was an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) for 10 years before I made the move to MCT status. You need at least one Microsoft Certification. The problem is that just one will limit your arsenal of classes that you are authorized to instruct. I’m authorized nearly 200, but I am not even going to attempt to teach that many. That is because I maintained the level of MCSE for all these years. You then need to take a Train-the-Trainer class. I had to fly to San Francisco to take mine. Once you complete the class, you can apply to be an MCT and pay the enrollment fee.
Is training for everybody….no it is not. For those of you who are able to make the commitment you fill find a challenging, but rewarding career.


How long until I can teach? That is up to you. You first need to prepare. Generally, you teach 2.5 to 3 modules per day. I will take from 2 to 10 hours to prep for each module depending on how new the material is to me. Right there that tells you that you could spend upwards of 75 hours before you teach a class the first time. I spend at least an hour of prep per day prior to each class day and then I still go back through to make improvements to my presentations. Be ready to have a lot of dedication. You can be an independent, contracted instructor or be on staff at a Microsoft Certified Learning Site. The choice is yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding a Comment to a GPO with PowerShell

As I'm writing this article, I'm also writing a customization for a PowerShell course I'm teaching next week in Phoenix.  This customization deals with Group Policy and PowerShell.  For those of you who attend my classes may already know this, but I sit their and try to ask the questions to myself that others may ask as I present the material.  I finished up my customization a few hours ago and then I realized that I did not add in how to put a comment on a GPO.  This is a feature that many Group Policy Administrators may not be aware of. This past summer I attended a presentation at TechEd on Group Policy.  One organization in the crowd had over 5,000 Group Policies.  In an environment like that, the comment section can be priceless.  I always like to write in the comment section why I created the policy so I know its purpose next week after I've completed 50 other tasks and can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago. In the Group Policy module for PowerShell V3, th

Return duplicate values from a collection with PowerShell

If you have a collection of objects and you want to remove any duplicate items, it is fairly simple. # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   # Remove the duplicate values. $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 What if you want only the duplicate values and nothing else? # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   #Create a second collection with duplicate values removed. $Set2 = $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique   # Return only the duplicate values. ( Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $Set2 -DifferenceObject $Set1 ) . InputObject | Select-Object – Unique 1 2 This works with objects as well as numbers.  The first command creates a collection with 2 duplicates of both 1 and 2.   The second command creates another collection with the duplicates filtered out.  The Compare-Object cmdlet will first find items that are diffe

How to list all the AD LDS instances on a server

AD LDS allows you to provide directory services to applications that are free of the confines of Active Directory.  To list all the AD LDS instances on a server, follow this procedure: Log into the server in question Open a command prompt. Type dsdbutil and press Enter Type List Instances and press Enter . You will receive a list of the instance name, both the LDAP and SSL port numbers, the location of the database, and its status.