Skip to main content

Forum Question: Help! Applied for IT Job need some advice

Every once and a while I jump into some IT forums to try and help others achieve there goals. Here is one from the forums at MCPMag.com.

Help! Applied for IT Job need some advice
Hello. I have a B.A. in Geographic Information Systems. After ten years in this field I have found that I have really enjoyed troubleshooting Windows and fixing computers in general. I am the family and friends IT guy. I'v taken classes in XP Pro and Linux systems administration, as well as DOS and Linux commands. But most of my experience has been in Database analysis and SQL. My problem is that I don't have any certifications yet. I'm currently pursing my MCSA. But I don't have any certs yet. I've recently applied fot these types of positions, but I don't seem to get into the interviews. Is it possible for someone like me to land an IT position? Can anyone give me some advice as to what I could focus on so that I can just get in the door? Any advice would be welcomed. I have just recently applied for another IT position, in Government, that doesn't require certs, but I would like to do all I can to make it happen. Thanks again for any advice.

My responce:

Chad,
Hang in there. In this economic environment, it is tough for everyone. I recommend that you continue to pursue your certification goals. The more firepower you have on your resume, the better your chances are of getting noticed. Getting into government work can help you get experience. You will find a lot of government workers successful, yet comfortable in their positions. In short, anyone with ambition can get promotions and new experience in government. Just make yourself visible in everything you do and the opportunities to expand will be there.


Once you get your MCSA, take a look at the new certifications. Microsoft is not offering MCSA/MCSE for Windows Server 2008. Completing an MCSA in Windows Server 2003 will give you a great foundation for to become a Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP). By doing this, you make yourself more marketable to not only future employers, but your current one as well.

Also look at the public school systems. That is where I got my start 12 years ago. Now I'm a Microsoft Certified Trainer.

Respectfully,
Jason


As MCTs, we can help each other out also by encouraging others to achieve their goals. I'm sure that I will most likely never meet this individual in one of my classes, but one of you will. Take a few minutes and mentor someone. In the long run, it helps your fellow MCTs and the careers of those whom you have touched.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adding a Comment to a GPO with PowerShell

As I'm writing this article, I'm also writing a customization for a PowerShell course I'm teaching next week in Phoenix.  This customization deals with Group Policy and PowerShell.  For those of you who attend my classes may already know this, but I sit their and try to ask the questions to myself that others may ask as I present the material.  I finished up my customization a few hours ago and then I realized that I did not add in how to put a comment on a GPO.  This is a feature that many Group Policy Administrators may not be aware of. This past summer I attended a presentation at TechEd on Group Policy.  One organization in the crowd had over 5,000 Group Policies.  In an environment like that, the comment section can be priceless.  I always like to write in the comment section why I created the policy so I know its purpose next week after I've completed 50 other tasks and can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago. In the Group Policy module for PowerShell V3, th

Return duplicate values from a collection with PowerShell

If you have a collection of objects and you want to remove any duplicate items, it is fairly simple. # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   # Remove the duplicate values. $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 What if you want only the duplicate values and nothing else? # Create a collection with duplicate values $Set1 = 1 , 1 , 2 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 1 , 2   #Create a second collection with duplicate values removed. $Set2 = $Set1 | Select-Object -Unique   # Return only the duplicate values. ( Compare-Object -ReferenceObject $Set2 -DifferenceObject $Set1 ) . InputObject | Select-Object – Unique 1 2 This works with objects as well as numbers.  The first command creates a collection with 2 duplicates of both 1 and 2.   The second command creates another collection with the duplicates filtered out.  The Compare-Object cmdlet will first find items that are diffe

How to list all the AD LDS instances on a server

AD LDS allows you to provide directory services to applications that are free of the confines of Active Directory.  To list all the AD LDS instances on a server, follow this procedure: Log into the server in question Open a command prompt. Type dsdbutil and press Enter Type List Instances and press Enter . You will receive a list of the instance name, both the LDAP and SSL port numbers, the location of the database, and its status.